Caretaker - St. Philip, Dunbar
Caretaker - St. Philip, Dunbar
Full time, live-in
The Caretaker position is a full time live-in position responsible for the cleaning, security and safety of the parish buildings, minor repairs around the property, and monitoring of the heating systems. The Caretaker is responsible for set-up and takedown for meetings and events; support with preparation for events; and ensuring the cleanliness of the facilities. The Caretaker reports directly to the Parish Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Building security & safety
- Coordinates locking and unlocking of the buildings as well as activation of the alarm system as required for the daily schedule of events in the church buildings
- Ensure that the buildings are safe and secure.
2. Building Maintenance and Cleaning
- Attends to minor repairs throughout the buildings and coordinates tradespeople hired by the parish for large jobs.
- Oversees the heating system and manages the contracted maintenance as needed.
- Coordinates the maintenance of the gardens
- Removes snow and ice from the church property when needed.
- Ensures interior rooms and facilities are clean, tidy and ready for use by parish and outside groups, including daily, weekly, and annual cleaning projects
- Manages the cleaning and maintenance supplies and equipment.
3. Event Support
- Provides support for meetings and events (eg. weddings, funerals, concerts, etc.) including setting up and taking down chairs, tables, projectors, banners, and other equipment and furniture as required and specified.
- Responsible for post-event cleaning of the facilities used, including bathrooms, floors, rubbish removal, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- At least one year of janitorial experience or janitorial training completed
- Previous caretaker experience preferred
- Demonstrated handyman skills (minor painting, carpentry, and general repairs)
- Excellent interpersonal skills working with colleagues and client groups
- Ability to lift heavy objects (over 25 pounds) and perform strenuous tasks such as shoveling snow or stripping and re-waxing floors
- Demonstrated effective time management skills
- Ability to work in a changeable environment delivering diverse services with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism
- Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector search obtained within the last 12 months
- Fluent in English; Good written and verbal communication skills
Forty (40) hours a week – flexibility and split shifts are required. Responsible to the wardens, but on a daily basis reports to and takes direction from the Parish Manager.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary is $12.65 per hour and an unfurnished two-bedroom apartment on the premises is provided as a taxable benefit (which includes heat, electricity and laundry facilities). The Caretaker may join the Diocesan Lay Workers Benefits Plan (includes MSP, Dental, Extended Health, and pension benefits.
Two (2) weeks of paid vacation / year to be taken in July and/or August.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, July 20, 2018.
Please send resumes to [email protected]
IMAGE: The St. Philip Courtyard Garden in late May
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".